Saturday 14 August 2010

28 days later

So. As you may have guessed from the title, I just watched the film 28 days later. If you don't want me to spoil major plot points for you, you should probably leave about now!

The first half of the film was pretty ok. A bit gory for my liking, and I found it pretty unbelievable that this incredibly infectious virus was left under such lax security that a few animal rights activists could break in and let it out. I liked the female lead Selena, played by Naomie Harris. She was the strong one in the group, and once the man she was originally surviving with was dead, she was definitely the one in charge. It was good to see a strong female lead in an action horror film for a change, and Naomie Harris definitely played Selena really well. I was a bit disappointed when Jim (Cillian Murphy) cut his hair short though, he was much prettier with long hair!

The second half (probably was less than half but shh!) of the film I found quite difficult to watch, as it focused on the attempted rape of Selena and the girl they were travelling with, 14 year old Hannah (Megan Burns), by 9 soldiers. I thought the film dealt with this reasonably well, as the soldiers were not portrayed as being in any way the good guys at this point, except the one who tried to stop it from happening.
The problem I had with it was that Jim, previously the weak one who was slowing Selena down, suddenly turned into some kind of superman, zipping around outside the house and somehow magically avoiding all the infected who were wandering around. He probably used the same magic as he did to jump over a wall taller than him while handcuffed and then remove said handcuffs.
We were also treated to the man saves woman cliche when Jim dropped through the ceiling and Selena stood and watched as he killed the soldier who had been guarding her.

I thought it was a pretty good film overall, although I did get a bit freaked out. I think tonight the lights will be staying on!

No comments:

Post a Comment